Contrary to general belief, civil marriage is perhaps older than religious marriage and has existed since ancient Roman and Greek times. As early marriages were more like business arrangements, they were never celebrated as “holy” ceremonies, but were rather considered like pure civil institutions. It was only in the twelve century that marriage was recognized as a sacrament in Christianity and within the church.
Civil marriage certainly evolved along the years, from a pure business arrangement to a non-religious alternative for celebrating love and unison. It is recognized by the state rather than the Church, and has been the more “tolerant” and easy alternative for socially-banned couples in cases such as interracial or inter-religious marriages, or even gay marriages.
Although civil marriage is still widely debated in societies over the world and legalized only in Western countries, it has been growing in demand lately, and mostly for the following reasons:
• Talking economics, civil marriage would make more sense for couples looking to avoid the high expenses of any traditional marriage.
• Civil marriage is the best way for having the small cozy wedding you’ve always dreamt of, celebrating with the close people that matter most to you and avoiding the boring conversations with distant relatives or old school friends.
• Civil marriage spares you the hassle of endless formalities and customs that authorities impose on religious marriages.
• Civil marriage grants men and women equal rights in all personal status matters, such as property rights, divorce, and child care.
• Last but not least, civil marriage gives women utmost flexibility in choosing their wedding dress. The short skirt, the casual dress, the overall suit, the pants; everything is allowed!
Whether your civil ceremony is followed by a cocktail reception, a lunch, or even a seated dinner in a private or public space, you can go as simple, informal, and trendy as you want with your wedding dress. Forget about long trains and the unhandiness of meters of tulle and ruffled skirts. You finally have the chance to feel comfortable and light in a wedding dress that doesn’t have to be dull either!
Luckily for you, simple and timeless cuts are totally in-vogue and being favored by the biggest fashion names worldwide through dedicated lines that celebrate the simple, modern and trendy woman. Our favorite picks are the Carolina Herrera matchless casual-sexy long shirt design as well as her smartly-formal and chic suit piece from her 2017 collection. Oscar de la Renta’s 2017 collection stole our heart with its little white bridal dresses so elegantly simple, ideally designed for small occasions such as civil wedding ceremonies. What’s your coup-de-coeur outfit?
With a presence spanning over 30 years, Esposa is a luxury bridal boutique offering every bride-to-be a one-stop shop to find her perfect wedding look, from her dream gown to her wedding shoes and the accessories she needs.
Esposa Group includes the Esposa Privé stores located in Downtown-Beirut and Dubai where bridal creations offer the choice between a multi-brand selection showcasing the works of international designers including Viktor and Rolf, Vera Wang, Monique L’huillier, Marchesa and Esposa Privé’s own couture brand, Esposacouture, as well as a wide evening segment and a selection of shoes and accessories. Esposa Group encompasses also the Esposa boutiques located in Lebanon (Dbayeh and Ramleh Al Bayda), and Dubai, showcasing a multi-brand bridal collection in addition to its own couture brand, Plume by Esposa, an evening segment, and a selection of shoes and accessories.